PetWill Radio

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Waiting for a Puppy

I recently posted that I have applied to be a puppy trainer for New Horizons Service Dogs. I'm beyond exited at this opportunity. My friend and co-puppy raiser, Ellen Hall, has agreed to share this experience and the responsibility.

Spent a significant amount of time on line yesterday researching disability access issues as they relate to service dogs. It is my expectation I'll be able to take the puppy almost anywhere, but I wanted to be prepared, just in case. Interestingly, the right to access with a service dog is not a right that belongs to the dog. It is a right that belongs to the disabled person. Trainers of service dogs and dogs in training should theoretically be treated in the same manner as a disabled individual with a dog but I have a feeling I'm about to learn a lot more on this subject.

Yesterday we were informed that we had been approved and that we will be receiving a female puppy! I feel like an expectant adoptive mother that just learned there is a child who has been identified who needs a home. Each litter has a theme for naming the puppies. The theme for her litter is colors - so, we've been diligently thinking of great names. We've got a ton of ideas, not sure yet what we will settle on. Favorites right now include Sienna, Copper, Amber, Kahki and Jade. Burgundy would also be a nice name.

Well it's 5:36 p.m. and I haven't heard a thing all day! I'm totally bummed as I thought we would know more by now. We've already been to Petsmart and dropped a load there on pet toys, treats, a name tag, etc. Now all we need is the puppy. All I need is the call and I'm ready to go!

Even went by Pet Rescue by Judy
while we were at the mall, just to get a puppy fix. Actually bought another leash just trying to support Judy and her efforts - thanks for all she does to find homeless dogs a forever home.

More later. I'll post a picture, as soon as I have one!

No comments:

Post a Comment