PetWill Radio

Monday, July 4, 2011

Sienna the Service Puppy

Sienna arrived yesterday! I was really psyched, almost couldn't wait to see her. Finally got the call around 12:30 p.m. saying we could pick her up at 3:30 in Deland. Of course, Ellen and I were thirty minutes early.

We had tons of questions about what to do, how to do it. Fortunately Megan Cloudman, one of the members of New Horizons Service Dogs had a whole notebook of information for us. We even got a goodie bag with things to help settle Sienna in.

In case I didn't mention it, she got her name Sienna because each litter of puppies has a particular theme. The theme for this litter was colors. Sienna seemed like the perfect choice for a dog that could be copper or burnt orange in color. Megan approved the name, so it stuck.

Sienna slept on Ellen's lap all the way home. She had a really big day. Little did I know I was about to have a very interesting night - a little dog that didn't want to go to sleep. It eventually all worked out and everyone got a few hours of good sleep.

Other good news, we've had no potty accidents. Lots of going outside, but she's really, really good. Very calm, relaxed. More service dog like, than puppy like. I think this profession will fit her well. She also like the A/C so being an indoor dog is going to suit her fine.

I started reading the training manual this morning after our first "busy" outing. There's a lot to learn. More than 80 different commands to master. Seems a little daunting, but I feel up to the task. I know Ellen is excited too.

We took her to the Geneva Fourth of July parade today and she couldn't have been better. She just isn't afraid of anything - not people, dogs, horses, parade floats, loud noises - nothing. I can't say the same for Leiden who seems to like no one and nothing.

This is a new journey - one I hope you'll join me on. You can also follow Sienna's blog for a puppy's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment