PetWill Radio

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Remembering the Good Old Days

Last night I went roller skating at the Semoran Skateway. Wow! That really took me back. Back to the days when every Friday and Saturday night were spent at Skate In, our local roller rink. We thought we had challenges in those days - only then they consisted of what we were going to wear and whose mother was going to do the drop off and pick up. All the girls would eye all the guys and plan who we wanted to skate with when the turned the lights down and played a couples tune. What a great time we had.

Those times are still available. I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun you can still have at the skating rink - and it only cost $8. It wasn't overly crowded, there were plenty of rules and regulations to keep people safe and it was a pretty fun crowd. There's no drinking, smoking or gum chewing allowed so that kept it pretty tame too. Lots of families, young adults and a few couples out for a good time.

People watching is always a hoot! There were a few guys there that I think I knew from the 70's - apparently they never left. I commented to one particularly good male skater - "I'm a much better skater in my mind." He laughed and said in a few weeks I'd get my skate legs back. He said he used to skate in the 70's but when he got his driver's license he never went back - now he skates with his grand kids! Made me feel old - that's why I say I never had kids because they remind you of how old you are. He spoke the truth however, once we got our driver's license, the skating rink went by the way side. I guess we had much more important things to do then.

I was so nostalgic after my roller rink outing I called one of my best friends from the good old days - someone who could remember exactly what I was remembering. I had to laugh when she said, "You didn't really skate did you?" Of course I did and I had a great time - not to mention getting in some great exercise. My knees were killing me when I left though, just to remind me I'm not as young as I used to be. However I am happy to report I didn't fall down even though once or twice I lost my balance and didn't look very cool. I didn't have the nerve to try and backwards skate, even though my mind said I used to be pretty good at it.

If you are looking for a good time and a great nostalgic evening out - try skating! See you at the rink!

No comments:

Post a Comment